Judge Jenkins New Mask Mandate
Date postedAugust 11, 2021
Judge Jenkins is implementing an indoor mask policy:
- The Order takes effect 11:59 p.m. on August 11, 2021.
- This Order applies to child care centers, Pre-K-12 public schools, businesses, and Dallas County buildings and facilities.
- All child care centers and Pre-K-12 public schools must develop a Health and Safety Policy and this policy must mandate that teachers, staff, students, and visitors wear a mask while on the school’s premises. Schools may also include other mitigation measures in their Health and Safety Policy at their own discretion. Additional CDC recommended mitigation measures can be found here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/k-12-guidance.html
- Businesses operating in Dallas County must develop a Health and Safety Policy and this policy must mandate that all employees and visitors wear a mask while on any property owned or operated by the business. Businesses may also include other mitigation measures in their Health and Safety Policy at their own discretion. Businesses must post their Health and Safety Plan in a location where employees and visitors can easily see it before entering the business premises.
- Businesses must take reasonable steps to enforce the face mask requirements of this Order, such as posting signage stating that masks are required, having employees monitoring the premises to ensure that all employees and visitors are wearing a face mask, and verbally instructing any visitor not wearing a face mask that a mask is required to enter the premises.
- Starting at 11:59pm on Saturday, August 14, 2021, a business can be fined up to $1,000 for each violation. This means if a business does not take reasonable steps to enforce the face mask requirements, a business can be fined up to $1,000 for each person the business allows to enter their premises without a face mask. Businesses will not be fined if they take all reasonable steps to enforce the face mask requirements.
- Common areas of residential property, such as laundry rooms, mailrooms, gyms, lobbies, and elevators, are subject to the mandatory face mask requirements included in this Order. Individuals are not required to wear a face mask while inside their own home or in another individual’s home.
- Face masks are required for every person age 2 years or older while they are on Dallas County property.
- The face mask requirements contained in this Order apply to both vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals.
- No civil or criminal penalty will be imposed on individuals for failure to wear a face mask.
The order will remain in effect until he rescinds the order.