Texas Rent Relief Program
The Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs (TDHCA) has received approximately $1.3 billion in Emergency Rental Assistance funds from the newly passed Coronavirus Relief Bill Rental Assistance Program. TDHCA is using the funds to help Texas renters pay rent and utility bills (including past due rent and utilities).
To help with outreach, TDHCA has created a toolkit with printable tenant flyers social graphics. You’ll find flyers, social media graphics and banner ads/email banners in English and Spanish.
The Texas Apartment Association encourages you to use these resources to help your members and their residents become aware of this new assistance program.
Additional information about the TDHCA program
TDHCA’s Texas Rent Relief program website and phone systems are up and running and ready to answer questions. TDHCA will accept applications from landlords and tenants beginning February 15, 2021, at 8 a.m. Central Time.
- Learn more and apply online at https://texasrentrelief.com.
- Learn more and apply by phone at 833-9TX-RENT / 833-989-7368.
TDHCA informational webinars: February 12 at 12 PM and 3 PM Central
- The sessions will provide general program information to landlords, apartment associations, Community Action Agencies, Council of Governments and any other interested associations or organizations interested in learning more about the program to share with their stakeholders.
- Register at the following link to join the 12:00 PM CST webinar:
- Register at the following link to join the 3:00 PM CST webinar:
- After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
Program eligibility and requirements
The Texas Rent Relief program can help with the following costs starting as far back as March 13, 2020:
- Past due, current and up to 3 months of expected rent costs
- Past due, current or up to 3 months of expected utility and home energy expenses
- After the initial 3 months of forward assistance, households can apply for 3 additional months of assistance if funds are still available
Households must have incomes at or below 80% of the Area Median Income and meet other qualifications. Full details are available at TexasRentRelief.com. Applicants can complete an application by phone or submitting an online application at TexasRentRelief.com starting 8 a.m. on Mon., Feb. 15.
Program eligibility information is currently available at TexasRentRelief.com or by calling Mon.-Sat., 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. 1-833-9TX-RENT (1-833-989-7368) to speak with someone directly. Assistance is available in multiple languages, including English, Spanish, Mandarin, Vietnamese and Korean.
TAA free member webinar: “Navigating the State’s New Rental Assistance Program,” February 16 10-11 a.m. CST
Remember to register for TAA’s free member webinar, and encourage your members to register.