iROP-Independent Rental Owner Professional Credential
Matthew Haines, CALP, CAM, CAPS, CAMT, CAMT+E, CAMT+L, iROP, EPA 608, Owner KOMHATbI Property Management
Independent Rental Owners
The Independent Rental Owner Professional (IROP) credential program is for rental owners who personally hold and manage an apartment property or properties. Independent owners can benefit from training in budget management, tax planning, preventative maintenance, energy efficiency and rental unit preparation as well as qualifying and retaining residents.
iROP Program Dates and Times:
- Friday, August 18, 2022 / 3:30 to 8:00pm
- Saturday, August 19, 2022 / 9:00am to 4:00pm
This course will teach you:
- Key elements of successful rental unit ownership
- Preparing and managing a budget
- Planning taxes strategically
- Establishing relationships with code department representatives
- Protecting and insuring your investment
- Increasing your property's energy efficiency to increase market value.
- Screening, hiring, and training employees.
- Scheduling unit inspections for preventive maintenance
- Establishing rental rates and marketing to find residents.
- Qualifying residents and complying with fair housing laws
- Considering the important elements of an enforceable lease
- Owner liability, rent collection, security deposits, and eviction.
- Developing turnkey rental unit preparation and resident move-in processes
- Showing the rental unit and qualifying and screening prospective residents
- Managing resident retention and terminating leases
Requirements: To obtain the iROP credential, candidates must complete the following:
- Successful completion of all iROP coursework and attend all classes.
- Meet all examination standards within 6 months of declaring candidacy.
All course materials are eBook format only. One week prior to the class you will receive an orientation email from AAGD with details about the class and access to your materials. The eBook will be electronically delivered to your email directly from Viatech. It will be your responsibility to receive the eBook and have access to it during the course. AAGD will not have access to printed materials.
About the Instructor:
Matthew Haines, iROP, CALP, CAM, CAPS, CAMT+E, CAMT+L, NAAEI Faculty, EPA 608, Lead-Safe Certified, CPO
Matthew is the owner of KOMHATbI Property Management who purchases, renovates, leases, and manages both single-family and multifamily assets. Matthew serves the multifamily industry as an active member of the Board of Directors and member of the Legislative and By-Laws committee for AAGD; active IRO and Education committee member for TAA and NAA and is the current Vice-Chair of the NAA IRO committee. Matthew is also an active member of AATC. In 2018 Matthew was appointed to NAA’s Education Institute (NAAEI) Faculty as well as the Curriculum Development Committee.
He has been published in various industry publications including AAGD’s Rooflines Magazine and TAA’s Apartments Magazine. In 2016 Matthew’s single-family home LLC was honored as the TAA Bob Ross IRO of the Year. In 2018, the LLC which manages multifamily assets was awarded as NAA’s IRO of the year for 250 units or less.
Payment is due no later than August 11, 2023
Registration Information and Policy:
All employees of AAGD Member Companies can create a login to gain access to member benefits. To learn how to create a member login, click here.
You must be logged into your individual account to unlock Member or Apartment Academy rates and the invoice payment option. Non-members will receive the non-member rate and be required to submit immediate payment with a credit card.
Confirmation e-mails will be sent when registration is completed, but are not guaranteed to be sent due to incorrect emails, security filters, etc.
By registering for this event, you acknowledge that any photos or videos taken of you at the event can be used by AAGD in future publications, flyers, promos, web/social media postings, videos and other media concerning the event, without compensation to you.
All cancellations must be submitted in writing to the AAGD Education Department no later than August 11, 2023. Substitutions are allowed, but ALL NO SHOWS WILL BE BILLED WITHOUT EXCEPTION. By registering for this program, you agree that you have read and understood the cancellation policy.