Rent Relief Event Survey for The City Of Dallas
The City of Dallas has been awarded Texas Emergency Rental Assistance Program (TERAP) funds to aid eligible tenants impacted by COVID-19 stay in their homes by providing up to 6 months of rental assistance. Assistance is available for both tenants who have been sued for eviction or tenants struggling to pay their rent.
Assistance can be used to pay the full contracted rent within the limits noted below for at least one month of rental payments going forward and up to five months of arrears for up to a total of six months. Any rental payments going forward must be for consecutive months.
To hand out these funds quickly to tenants in need, the City is setting up in-person events with apartment communities to serve residents in person.
- Assistance for rent is no older than April 2020
- Contract rent for the household assisted cannot exceed the TDHCA maximum limits (find that here under “Program Guidance and Monthly Reporting”, click on “Rent Limit Calculator”)
- Must have a bank account and accept direct deposit
- Units that already receive project-based assistance or are public housing units are ineligible
- Units owned by the government may be ineligible
- Must be registered as a vendor with the City of Dallas or willing to complete vendor registration process in advance of receiving payments (Register at https://dallascityhall.com/departments/budget/financialtransparency/Pages/purchasing.aspx)
- Assistance must support households that are in arrears and/or at risk of homelessness or housing instability
- Household income below 80% of Area Median Income (AMI) – priority for households 50% AMI and below and/or those in which one or more members are unemployed and have been for 90 or more days
- Household has been financially impacted by COVID-19 pandemic
- Tenants are ineligible if they are receiving tenant-based voucher assistance, are in a unit receiving project-based assistance, or are in public housing
Detailed information can be found here. If your community is interested in hosting an in-person event OR if you would like to gather documents for tenants and turn them in in-bulk, please fill out this brief survey.
City of Dallas staff will reach out to you to determine if you are a good fit for this program.