Dallas City Council approved a rental assistance program for Dallas residents impacted by COVID-19
On April 22, 2020, Dallas City Council approved a rental assistance program for Dallas residents impacted by COVID-19. The program is scheduled to begin on May 4, and the funds will be limited.
The City of Dallas will offer Rental assistance for individuals and families affected by COVID 19. The city of Dallas is still finalizing the application and phone number for assistance, but they will be sharing information on accessing the program at www.dallascityhall.com on their main page.
Here is what we know about the program:
Who is eligible to participate in the COVID 19 Mortgage/ Rental Assistance Program?
- City of Dallas residents in danger of being evicted or facing foreclosure due to COVID-19 related job or income loss.
- Participants must provide documentation of the impact of COVID-19 to their circumstance, including but not limited to the following:
- Proof of job/income loss, temporary or permanent (*Current City of Dallas employees are not eligible)
- Reduction in work hours/income
- Increased healthcare and household expenses that attributed to an insufficiency of rent/mortgage payments (i.e. increased child-care expenses due to school closures)
- Applications will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis.
The following will be required for pre-screening but additional documents may be needed as the applicant progresses through the process:
- Copies of the following: valid, current State ID Card or Driver’s license (for each adult in the household)
- Social Security Card (for each person in the household, including children)
- Birth Certificate for at least each minor. NOTE: some programs will require a birth certificate for each and every member of the household.
- Proof of income, if any (unemployment benefits, check stubs, TANF, etc.)
- Current Lease (all members of the household must be listed)
- For those applying for mortgage assistance: a copy of the most recent mortgage statement
- For those applying for rent assistance: Late or Eviction notice(s) for monthly rent
- Proof of Circumstance (any paperwork that can support how the household was adversely affected by COVID-19)
There are income requirements for the program, and they are as follows:
- 80% or below of AMI as defined by the federal government
- For fiscal 2019 HUD listed Dallas County's median income as $83,100 (qualifying varies by size of household)
- For example, a family of four would need to make less than $66,500 to qualify
- Applicants who fall below 50% of the AMI and are at risk of homelessness may qualify for up to 6 months of assistance
- The closer they are to 80% AMI they will likely receive up to $1,500 during 3 months of assistance
If a resident qualifies for the program, payments will be sent directly to the property owner/manager. To help decrease the payment processing time, we encourage our Dallas members to register as a vendor with the city of Dallas as soon as possible.
To become a vendor with the City of Dallas, download this form and submit to RentalAndMortgageAssistance@dallascityhall.com
Please call (214) 670-3326 for assistance with the vendor registration process.
If you have any questions about the city of Dallas rental assistance program, please contact AAGD Government Affairs at 972-739-9505 or email@example.com.
The city of Dallas has released its Rental Assistance Guide.
Join us Thursday, April 30, 2020, for the AAGD Webinar & Legal Update covering this content.
Guides for residents in the city of Dallas:
Rental or Mortgage Assistance - FAQ in English
Rental or Mortgage Assistance - FAQs in Spanish
Rental or Mortgage Assistance Program - Overview in English 1
Rental or Mortgage Assistance Program - Overview in Spanish 1
Rental Mortgage Assistance - Carousel in Spanish
Rental Mortgage Assistance - Carousel in English
Rental Mortgage Assistance - Checklist in English